Wednesday, July 20, 2016

Fisher-Price Smooshees Smugglers: Scooter Pup review (1988)


Ah Smooshees....this one takes me way back, all the way to 1988. This line was from my younger childhood, and I did not have many of them (only 3 or so) but my sister, my good friend Alison (aka 'Alison Up the Block') and I would play with these often. I still have the Squish Fish she gave me, minus his cool fish bowl accessory though.

So what do you DO with Smooshees you may ask? Why, SMOOSH them of course!

Thats basically it.

The whole line revolved around the concept of taking small, plush animals & humans and cramming them into their hard plastic, under-sized accessories. Damn, when I say that outloud it sounds kinda morbid....but hey they're only toys so it's alright! Squish their brains! Whoopie!! :-D

*ehem*

The Smooshees Smugglers sub-theme of the Smooshees (I'm driving my auto-correct with that word btw, it keeps trying to change it to 'smooches') line revolved around a secondary play pattern: taking your toys with you in secret. Want to bring them to class in school but would get in trouble? NO PROBLEM! Fisher-Price makes a pen with a Smooshee to cram inside! Don't want a pen? How about a Note pad? A Diary? Purse??? With this line, Fisher-Price had your back.

This assortment though, didn't really do much to hide the Smooshees...more or less you just would wear them and people would look at you oddly whilst you walked around with small, 1980's obnoxiously colored animals all over your clothing.

I'd say the 1980's called and they want their colors back, BUT this was in the 1980's so I'll just sit here quietly.. 

Dottie Kitten is by far the most neon of the bunch; bright neon yellow hair, AND pink? Put your sun glasses on folks, this kitten has a bright future. Anyone? No? Alright fine, moving on...


Contents! What do you get??
This is part of the basic (aka cheaper) Smooshees Smugglers assortment so you don't get much. Just the Scooter Pup Smooshee and a yellow-orange clip to tote him around with.

Scooter Pup, his Clip & Packaging

Okay cool, tell us about 'em!
The colors on this guy are crazy. The normal Smooshees line was mostly lighter pastels, but the Smugglers are that crazy loud 1980's color combinations we all loved back then..and shuddered at today. I love it though, the over the topness of it all just makes it loads of fun. All the Smugglers also had rooted hair, something not seen on any other Smooshee so that adds a lot of character to them too.

Scooter Pup in his clip (Front)

Scooter Pup in his clip (Left Side)

"Um...help, I got stuck in this thing..guys? Little help...?"
Should I try to get this brand new?:
If you can afford it and its not outrageously priced, go for it. Lots of kids smooshed the every lovin' crap out of these toys so after almost 30 years loose samples not in the best of care could probably be very gnarly. I made the mistake of storing all my Smooshees inside their little accessories which made them all rather....deflated. I won't have that problem with Scooter though so that's a good thing. I paid $10 for this on an open card but never used and that was a great price. I saw one or two listed for $25.00 and that's not too bad, especially considering the larger sets with the cooler smugglers items are at $80+ on eBay. That's just nutty, but to each their own I guess.

So what do you really think about it?:
This was a fun part of my childhood and I don't foresee myself buying these in droves unless I can get them for a steal. They are fun toys and can really add a splash of 1980's madness to any display in your house.

Check out the video below for Scooter Pup in action although not getting smooshed into anything aside from his hang tag.



No comments:

Post a Comment